Friday, November 15, 2019

Music Video Intro and Research


    After wrapping up our commercial project, I can safely say that I know how to properly use the Pinnacle Studios software. We use this to edit any projects we have completed or wish to complete in the future. I think, collectively, my group could have done a little better on our commercial, but because of deadlines, we only had a small window to complete editing. I'm glad I have learned how to cut clips, fade in and out, and add music to the productions we complete. I am excited, however to move onto the next project we have to complete. We are all filming music videos. I am working alone for this project, so it will be interesting to see how my video turns out, considering I am working on my own.

    For my music video project, I decided to use Lil Uzi Vert's "20 Minutes." When deciding what song I wanted to make a music video for, I initially thought a couple songs and genres. First, since alternative rock is my favorite genre of music, I began thinking of a couple Twenty One Pilots songs; however, because their songs are relatively long, I didn't want to mess with the duration of the songs. Next, I thought of Lil Peep's, "Star Shopping", because that songs actually means a lot to me and it is a moving song. However, the duration of that song is two minutes and twenty seconds, so it seemed odd to only cut 50 seconds and it was difficult to find the right place in the song to begin the video. Finally, I decided on "20 Minutes" because I figured I could just use to first minute and fifteen seconds and it wouldn't affect how to music video was structured. This song is in the rap/hip-hop genre and, although hip-hop isn't my favorite genre of music, I do enjoy this specific song. Additionally, I was easily able to find a clean version on Youtube that I could plug into the editing software we use.

    The conventions of the hip-hop genre, for music videos, isn't very specific. Most videos are different, in what they are actually doing; however, in most cases, they are showing off their cars, money, etc. But, some videos are more simplistic, such as the singer/artist walking down the street, while things are taking place around him/her. Camera angles in most hip-hop videos are either medium shots or medium close-ups to really showcase the rapper's flow and his/her jewelry or clothes. Movement, moreover, is usually either a pan or a tracking shot, as the camera usually follows what the singer/artist is doing in the shot. Sound is pretty simple, for the most part, as ambient noise is usually cut out and the actual music is the only thing that can be heard in the video. However, in some cases, the artist will add in some ambient sound, like a dog barking, or a police car siren, for example. Editing will be tricky, because in most cases, the hip-hop genre music videos use fast cuts and minimal transitions between shots. Additionally, the music videos usually use special effects to enhance the song's impact, but this isn't the case 100% of the time.

    In our class, we follow an acronym called "CLAMPS" when researching our production conventions, so we may be able to replicate them in our own videos.

1) C-Costume: In the hip-hop genre music videos, the artist is usually seen wearing designer clothes and expensive jewelry. Obviously, as a high school student, I don't have the money to afford these things, so I will just have to work with what I have.

2) L-Lighting: The lighting in the hip-hop genre music videos usually changes, depending on the song or beat of the song. In my video, I will most likely film during the day and at night, to incorporate multiple lighting styles.

3) A-Acting: In most cases, acting in pretty minmal for hip-hop music videos, however, sometimes the beginning of the videos will have some dialogue between the singer and someone else in the scene, such as a girlfriend/boyfriend, etc.

4) M-Makeup: I don't believe there is much makeup in hip-hop music videos. Unless there is a true story within the music video, where the artist may get hurt or injured in the story.

5) P-Props: Props in hip-hop music videos are minimal. Items such as cars and houses may be considered "props", but other than that, props are mostly obsolete.

6) S-Setting: Setting changes, similar to the lighting, depending on the song. In my video, however, it will most likely take place inside my car and on the street. 

No comments:

Post a Comment