Thursday, November 7, 2019

Editing


    The editing process for our commercial was, for the most part, very rigorous and time sensitive. As we only had a few class periods to complete the editing of our commercials, we had to work diligently. This was because the computers in our class experienced some malfunctions with the installation of the Pinnacle Studios software. However, once the computers were fixed and the software was successfully installed, we began editing. It was interesting getting used to the Pinnacle Studios software on the computers and learning more about editing techniques. Personally, I learned how to cut clips that we had shot outside, during the film process. Also, I figured out how to fade shots into black and to fade out from previous shots. This was especially important because it matched the convention styles of a Dunkin' commercial. Additionally, I learned how to add background music to the beginning of our commercial. Our group decided on a light jazz, as this was similar to the music used in most Dunkin' commercials.

    On the second day of editing, my group mate was absent from school, because they were sick. Therefore, it was up to me to continue editing. To my surprise, this wasn't too difficult. I was able to get a lot done, because I was able to concentrate on editing for the full 90 minute class period. During this time, I added background music to the beginning of the commercial. In addition, I cut some of the initial clips down to shorten the commercial to the assigned 30 second length. I did this by cutting the unnecessary starting points of a few shots. Also, I added fade ins and outs to some of the shots, to assist in the general flow of the commercial. Moreover, I needed to mute all ambient noise that can be heard in all of the original shots. The background music would replace this.

    Once my group mate returned to school, we only had a few more things left to do for the editing process. Firstly, we needed to add a voice over towards the end of the commercial. This is used in almost every Dunkin commercial to explain the product they are attempting to sell. For example, I was to describe the "New Dunkin' Bottled Iced Coffee." One of the shots was a close up of the bottle in front of a blank, white wall. Popping up around it was the words "COLD" and "CRISP." Following that scene, a still, white screen would appear spelling out the word "REFRESHING", as I would add a voice over of me saying the word "refreshing." The end of the commercial shows the "America Runs On Dunkin" slogan, as well as the logo. Finally, my group mate added one finally voice over of her saying "Ah", simulating a person's reaction after taking a sip of the new product.

    Overall, the editing procedures went smoothly and were very fun to learn about. I am excited to continue on and to learn more about the film process.

No comments:

Post a Comment