Thursday, January 23, 2020

Pitches Blog


    After much consideration, especially without the help of other groupmates, as I am working alone on this final project, I have narrowed my pitches down to two final choices. I was able to work through these as they will most likely be easier to create and use for the final. They fit better into the grading rubric in my opinion and they seem to be easier to film. Additionally, the casting process will be much easier. Also, creating a script will be more engaging for me and I think I will be able to create a more wholesome production out of these two final pitches. Now my final job is to narrow these down to only one pitch that I will use for my final project. My first pitch is the beginning of a film, which is a suspense/drama; it revolves around a group of teens who are put to the test when they take part in an "experiment", unknowingly realizing the true goal after they find the ad for it on a new part-time job app. My second pitch is a slasher/horror film centered in the suburbs of Los Angeles, which we follow a boy tormented by his friends and family. He eventually decides to take action and get revenge on anyone who ruined his past by taking each one out one-by-one using various sadistic traps.

    After reviewing these two pitches, I am leaning more towards my first pitch. This idea seems to be more inventive and I really think I could make this production very gripping. By the end of it, viewers will want more. I believe I'll be able to keep viewers on the edge of their seats with this one. Also, this idea will require fewer props and more dialogue and inventiveness. For that reason, I think it will get the attention of the viewer more than a common slasher flick may. I think this pitch is somewhat original, but that will be more of a challenge for me. In fact, I will have to try harder in making this project, as I will want to make it better than any other movie that is similar to it. It may be challenging to grip the viewers within the first two minutes, but I believe if I make the storyline and dialogue good enough, I can keep viewers wanting more by the end of the first two minutes.

    My second pitch is similar as it is more of a horror movie-inspired film, as opposed to something out of the action/adventure genre. However, the "slasher" aspect moves away from the more suspenseful/drama idea of my first pitch. This film would jump into the action quicker and put the viewers almost in the shoes of the killer. The viewers would begin watching knowing that characters would meet an untimely fate within the first couple minutes. This idea is even more original than my first pitch and even could be considered cliche to some. This project would be similar to a movie like Halloween or Friday the 13th, for example, as it follows a killer that became what he is because of his past. I don't like this pitch as much as my first, as it would require more props. Additionally, I feel as it would be harder to create a start to the film, as it would have to jump right into the action, instead of leaving the first two minutes with a cliffhanger like the first pitch would.

    With all being said, I will be using my first pitch for my final project. I am very excited to begin the production of this film. The casting for the film will involve friends of mine, outside of my class, to star as characters in the film. I think this pitch will be easier and more fun to work with for my final project. One challenge I believe I will face is the editing process, as I am working alone. However, like I've said before, I think I work more efficiently when I work alone, so hopefully, I will succeed in all areas of the production.

No comments:

Post a Comment